Getting Started 
Veterans Services in the Registrar's Office, located in College Hall, can assist you with obtaining an Application for VA Education Benefits. You may apply for your GI Bill® benefits at Expect 8-10 weeks to hear from the VA regarding your education benefits.

VA Benefits
Your VA benefits will vary based on the type of benefit, your contract, and the number of credit hours in which you have enrolled. Visit for current rates.

Amount of Financial Aid and Tuition
The amount of your VA benefits is based on the type of benefit for which you are eligible, the number of credit hours you schedule, and the current VA rates. If you need assistance paying your tuition, you should apply for financial aid by calling 740.588.5000.

You may be eligible for additional grants, loans, scholarships, and employment programs (see a financial aid advisor or call 740.588.5000). 

Veterans Benefits Eligibility (GI Bill®)  
Students wishing to utilize veterans benefits need to contact the Veterans Services located in the Registrar’s Office, College Hall.

Veteran, Chapter 30

Benefits are available to veterans who first entered on active duty after June 30, 1985. Veterans must have participated in the Chapter 30 program when entering active duty. Discharge or release shown after June 30, 1985, must have been honorable. Maximum entitlement is 36 months.

The Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty (MGIB-AD) can help you pay for education and training programs. If you’ve served at least 2 years on active duty, you may qualify for the MGIB-AD program.

Apply at:

Post-9/11, Chapter 33

Benefits are available to veterans who have at least 90 days of aggregate service on or after September 11, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits. 

The Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) helps you pay for school or job training. If you’ve served on active duty after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33). Find out if you can get this education benefit.

Apply at:

CH. 33D – Transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to your spouse and dependents

If you have unused Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits, you can transfer your benefits to your spouse or dependent children.

Apply at:

Selected Reserve, Chapter 1606

The Montgomery GI Bill® (Selected Reserve) is a program of education benefits for members of the reserve elements of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. To be eligible for the program, a reservist must have a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after June 30, 1985, complete initial active duty for training, and remain in good standing in a Selected Reserve unit. Find out if you qualify.

Apply at:    

Dependent, Chapter 35

Children, spouses, widows or widowers of veterans who died in service or as a result of a service-connected disability, who became permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected liability; who died while a disability so evaluated was in existence; or who have been listed as missing in action, captured, detained, or interned in line of duty for more than 90 days are eligible for educational assistance. Recipients are entitled to 45 months of educational assistance. Delimiting dates vary and questions concerning these should be referred to the Regional Office.

Apply at:

Veteran Readiness and Employment, Chapter 31

If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, Veteran Readiness and Employment (formerly called Vocational Rehabilitation) can help. This program helps you explore employment options and address training needs. In some cases, your family members may also qualify for certain benefits.

Apply at:

Reserve Educational Assistance Program, REAP

If you’re a member of the Reserves who lost education benefits when the Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) ended in November 2015, you may qualify to receive restored benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

Apply at:

Veterans' Educational Assistance Program, VEAP

You may be able to continue your education by using part of your military pay to help cover the cost of school. Find out if you can get benefits through the Veterans’ Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)—a $2-to-$1 government-match program for educational assistance.  

All of these must be true. You:

  • Entered service for the first time between January 1, 1977, and June 30, 1985 (for all branches other than Air Force), and
  • Opened and put money into your VEAP account before April 1, 1987, and
  • Put in $25–$2,700 on your own, and
  • Finished your first period of service and didn’t receive a dishonorable discharge

If you served in or are serving in the Air Force, you must meet the additional requirements below.


  • Entered service for the first time between December 1, 1980, and September 30, 1981, and
  • Enlisted in one of these Air Force specialties: 20723, 20731, 20830, 46130, 46230A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, or Z, 46430, or 81130, and
  • Enlisted in one of these locations: Beckley, WV; Buffalo, NY; Dallas; Fargo, ND; Houston; Jackson, MS; Louisville, KY; Memphis, TN; Omaha, NB; Philadelphia; Seattle; Sioux Falls, SD; or Syracuse, NY

Note: If you’re currently on active duty, you must have at least 3 months of contributions available to use your VEAP benefits.

Apply at: Apply For Education Benefits | Veterans Affairs (